The orbit of Mercury - ecliptic views. Generated by a program written by Eurocommuter.
- Mercury in yellow
- For reference a circular orbit with the same semi-major axis in grey
- The orbit plotted in brighter colours above the ecliptic and darker below.
- Major axis drawn showing perihelion (q) and aphelion (Q)
- The Sun in the centre.
- Yellow segment points toward the vernal point.
- View from the ecliptic (bottom) and from ~5 degrees above
Data Source Edit
- For planets: Jet Propulsion Laboratory: Keplerian Elements for Approximate Positions of the Major Planets